Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Clearly For Art Shadow Box

I set before me a grand challenge of making a project that fit the criteria for four challenges for this week. The first was the Everything Wendy Vecchi Yahoo Group challenge of making something with "clearly for art modeling film". Check! The second was the Hels Sheridan Sunday Stamper challenge of "life". Check! The third was Lisa Somerville's Blogger's Color Challenge of "black, white, & red". Check! The fourth was the Gingersnap Creation's Random Redhead Challenge of "faux technique". Check! Phew!!! That's a lot of checks, but I did it, and I totally recycled as well!
I had this cute little box left over from Christmas chipboard letters. I spray painted it white, let that dry, and then spray painted it with black crackle spray paint....addicting!!!
I heat embossed Wendy's gorgeous background stamp onto black cardstock using Seafoam White Embossing Powder.
Remember my faux cracked glass technique ala Wendy, that I did on an empty plastic bottle. I saved the other half and decided to use it on this project. I wanted the bottle more white, so I applied Picket Fence Crackle Paint on it and let that dry.
I decided to make 3 roses using the Pinecone die. After diecutting them using Clearly For Art Whiteout, I stamped front and back with Wendy's script image using Blazing Red StazOn.
Using a little heat I folded in the tips of each petal. I used kraft wire to act as the flower stem by forming a hook and connecting that onto the beginning part of the rose. I love really makes this super easy. I never had to go back and try again. All three of the roses were first time tries. I just applied a little heat from the heat gun every time I wanted a crisp fold.
I did not even have to use glue. I simply hooked the little barb on the end of the die cut around the stem. I love CFA! The stiffness really makes all the difference. Aren't these gorgeous???
I used a tiny metal tag for the sentiment about life, which by the way is so true! First I applied Red Pepper Alcohol Ink to the whole tag. Then I stamped the sentiment first in Jet Black StazOn to make it really stand out, then  heat embossed the sentiment in Seafoam White on top of the black. I distressed the edges of the tag and inked it with Black Soot Distress Ink.
Time to assemble the flower arrangement. I tied ribbon to the tag and vase. I made curly q's in red wire and found some tiny filler flowers in my stash. I put it all together and voila!!!
Uline: mini metal tag
From My Stash: black cardstock, tiny red flowers, ribbon, tulle, box from chipboard letters, crackle spray paint, white spray paint, white kraft wire

I hope your hands get creatively dirty soon!

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Flower Pin Tag

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the 2010 Tim Holtz cruise to New England. One of the projects we did one night was make three tags, one of which had a flower pin for us to wear. This was my absolute favorite tag of the three and I have since made countless flower pins as gifts. People are always amazed that I cut the material with the Vagabond. Since the challenge at Linda Ledbetter's Grungy Monday this week was "Tim Inspired Wearable Art", I decided to submit this tag and share it with you since I didn't blog way back then. I am also submitting this to Hels Sheridan's Sunday Stamper challenge of "stitches" since a little bit of sewing is necessary to make this beautiful little accessory.
Tag is just stamped randomly and then inked. The sentiment is stamped on canvas and inked, mounted, and embellished. The corsage pink is just layered material (largest to smallest) and stitched through to attached grunge, tulle, and button.

From My Stash: material, lace, tulle, ribbon, pin with back, thread, needle, black cardstock

I hope your hands get creatively dirty soon!