Last summer, I took a class from Marion Smith from Prima, who took a regular manila folder and transformed it into a mini book cover with really cool strung in pages. I wanted to make my own mini Art Journal using this type of cover, so I used her idea of the manila folder to make an Art Journal cover but instead using the Faux Leather Technique, and using a ring binder so I could take the pages out for easier art journaling.
|I trimmed the manila folder 6 inches wide the whole length of the folder. I'll use the other part for something else.|
|I stained the manila with Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Stains.|
|I stamped a plethora of Stamper's Anonymous sewing images of Tim and Wendy's, and a border from the new Classic #3 set in either Jet Black or Coffee Archival, using some of techniques Tim showed in his video the other day at the Simon Says Stamp Blog for Stamptember Fest. That extra long sentence qualifies this for the Everything Wendy Vecchi Yahoo Group Making Art Challenge #50...phew!|
|I flipped it over and liberally sprayed the back with Ranger Inkssentials Ink Refresher, and massaged it in until the paper became very pliable.|
|I waded it all up very carefully so I wouldn't rip it, and allowed it dry for a while.|
|I ran Rusty Hinge Distress Ink directly over the top of the paper (now a journal cover) to highlight the wrinkles made. I then gave it a little blast with the Heat Tool.|
|I cut a strip of Grunge Board 1 1/2 x 6 inches. I adhered the button printed paper from Idea-ology onto the Grunge, and inked the edges with Rusty Hinge. Then I attached the Large Ring Binder from Idea-ology as well to it.|
|I adhered the strips of paper to the journal, one on each side of the dotted line. I trimmed the button paper so it was now the same shape as the journal cover.|
|I adhered the ring binder between the creases, and gave everything a good inking with Rusty Hinge.|
|I die cut the shapes from the Sizzix Tim Holtz Sewing Room Bigz Die using Grunge Board.|
|I stained them with Vintage Photo Distress Stain and inked the edges with Rusty Hinge. I adhered pattern tissue to the dress form, added twine around the spool, and inked the button. The dress form also got Tissue Wrapped wings and embellishments.|
|I cut several strips of good weighted ivory cardstock 6x10 inches, folded each strip in half, punched holes to line up with the ring binder and placed them into the journal for my blank pages to create on.|
|I added the die cuts, wings, Prima stamped flowers, sewing machine Blossom Bucket, and title piece to the front of the journal.|
From My Stash: regular manila folder, pattern tissue paper, Recollections Flower Bling Brads, brooch given to me from Marion
I hope your hands get creatively dirty soon!